Re: [linux-audio-user] Specifying the license when posting music?

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 14:26:10 EEST

tim hall wrote:
> On Thursday 18 August 2005 22:13, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>>tim hall wrote:

>>>Until we make a decision not to accept non-CC submissions to the list you
>>>should assume that a piece is copyright the author and all rights
>>>reserved unless explicitly licensed otherwise.
>>
>>that is *always* assumed, whether a piece has been licensed or not.
>>copyright isn't really the issue here, is it? isn't it licensing ... ie
>>- how we are allowed to *use* the music, not who is creator or
>>intellectual "property" owner?
>

> Yes, the issue is licensing here.
>

>>i don't think by posting music to this list that anyone is giving up
>>their copyright, but they *are* sort of saying "here is a public link to
>>some music i made, anyone can download it
>

> Yes.
>

>>and distribute it".
>

> No. If I wanted my stuff distributed, I would license it appropriately.

yeah, the distribute part was a bit iffy, but i couldn't make my point
without i ;)

>>we are
>>basically, through a sort of informal contract, issuing stuff under a
>>Creative Commons license every time we post our music here
>

> That's an assumption on your part which I don't share. You have to consciously
> accept a contract (i.e. sign it or =) in order for it to be binding under
> British law (ANAL). I think you have to at least shake hands in order for it
> even to be considered a 'gentleman's agreement'.

which brings me back to my (and probably your) point - what *are* we
allowed to do with it? by allowing us to download the song ie - copy it
- you have granted us some sort of rights, haven't you? how far do these
rights go (i'm talking only in the context of what a CC license allows)?

>>- if we
>>*weren't*, then we'd potentially be exposing everyone on the list to
>>breaking the law.
>

> Really?!? I will be very careful about what I post on this list if that _is_
> the case. It would be good to clarify this.
>
> I think I'm slightly at odds with the consensus here. I am primarily a writer
> of music, before even being a performer or player. I am still quite new to
> using computers for this task. While I think Free Licensing for creative
> works is a good idea, I'm not entirely convinced by the ramifications. My
> chief worry is that while I would be flattered if any of my music was used to
> promote something I believe in, I would be mighty pissed off if it got used
> to advertise some ecologically damaging product or xenophobic attitude.

this has got nothing to do with creative commons licensing.

> The problem with advertising and music is that it's much more emotional than
> software. If someone with radically different politics uses that software
> very publicly, it doesn't imply any kind of endorsement of the final product
> on the part of the software developer. Music or a public appearance does
> create the impression of endorsement. As an audience's support is somewhat
> style dependent, this can be critical. Ozric Tentacles lost a lot of fans
> over the Ford commercial they did.

selling your music to a product is sick, i hope most people would agree.
unless, i guess, you write jingles for a living.

I have already sailed a little too close