Re: [linux-audio-user] Specifying the license when posting music?

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 01:20:35 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 20:35 +0100, tim hall wrote:
>
>>If we are going to assume CC status for works posted here
>

> IANAL but I am almost positive that would not hold up in a US court.
> Creative works default to "All rights reserved", which includes anything
> posted to this list without a specific license attached, regardless of
> what the informal list policy is.

just in the interests of clarifying something (i doubt it will serve
much practical purpose here):

it is agreed that, in the absence of any other licensing information,
that creative works will default to "All rights reserved" ... but out of
interest, does posting a link with explicit permission to download (ie
copy) a song, give up any copyrights *in that instance* ? because you
are, in effect, lifting some of those implied copyright restrictions
(otherwise it would be against the law to make a copy of it, wouldn't it?).

shayne