Re: [linux-audio-user] CD-Text confusion

From: Mike Jewell <mj405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 17:05:48 EEST

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 20:26 -0500, Reuben Martin wrote:
> On 8/20/05, Mike Jewell <mj405@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > If it is possible to put this info directly on the CD, why wouldn't
> > everyone do it? In a production environment (or even onesy-twosy) is
> > seems like it would be trivial once you figured it out and had the
> >write hardware. So what if most players couldn't read it. If it
...right (either way. 8^) )
> > cost nothing to add it, what's to be lost?
> >

> Most don't do it because it's not part of the official Red Book spec.
> CD-Text requires 96 bytes of sub-channel data per sector while the
> official spec is for 16 bytes of sub-channel per sector. It's a matter
> of keeping the CD backward compatible for old CD players.

Interesting. I know CDs have been around a very long time (as technology
goes) but it's still amazing that the developers didn't anticipate that
basic need. Are new players being designed to read it so that someday
when all the "old" players are dead, CD publishers could start including
it? The CDDB technique, as cool as it is, sure seems like a brute force
kludge compared to just having the CD itself tell the player what it
needs to know.

Mike
Mike Jewell
One-Up Audio