Re: [linux-audio-user] Around the wiki.freeaudiosoftware.org - forum

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 01:03:47 EEST

Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Any of you have some interest of it? I won't do it and manage it
>>alone, but I'm able to take part in it (even start it actually)!
>

> I'm already struggling with a lot of lists; I certainly will not have
> the time to visit a forum on a regular basis.
>
> Mailing lists are that convenient. Messages come in (instead I have to
> visit the messages), I can scan them and if I can offer help I do so.
>
> I really don't know why so many people use web based forums. It's so
> slooooow - I really dislike all these PHPBBs. Sorry, but forums are for
> people who are not able to subscribe a miling list and to set up a
> mailaer properly.

they suck for something like LAU, but they're great for others. they are
*much* easier to search, a lot better layed out and organised, etc.

mailing lists are merely more convenient ... i think if you can set up a
PHP forum, then a mailing list is really not a problem. they are hardly
complicated.

don't forget you can subscribe to forum threads with most PHP boards!

>>But this idea could also somehow take over this mailing list... :-(
>

> Like the new wiki does. Hmmmm...

why doesn't everyone stop asking whether they should do stuff, *and just
do it*? it doesn't matter whether anyone here is suffering
subscriber-fatigue, or whether they think the title you have chosen is a
bit 'meh ...', or whether a wiki should be open or not. all that matters
is that people support these things.

if you think something should be done different, do it yourself.

if you think something should be done, then do it ... even if noone else
comes to the party, you'll learn a whole lot :)

shayne