Re: [linux-audio-user] Around the wiki.freeaudiosoftware.org - forum

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 01:08:01 EEST

Christoph Eckert wrote:

>>Isn't a wiki a kind of forum too? ...but the entries are of higher
>>quality
>>

>That's the point. Did you ever read a thread in a forum (or even a
>thread of a recent discussion on a mailing list provided by a HTML
>gateway)?
>
>You read a lot and in the end you know that the discussed problem wasn't
>solved. You have messed time.
>
>OTOH, problems solved in a long thread can be condensed on a wiki page,
>in an optimal world by the one who got helped. This way the wiki grows
>pages with high quality content.
>
>That was the origin idea behind wiki.freeaudiosoftware.org.

Right, Mr. Eckert. It's hard to discuss an issue in a forum. Some don't
have proper threading (so you end with this long text output in the web
browser). But, more importantly, it's just so darn hard to go back
everyday and find out where you were and reply again.

A mailing list is superior to that.

But, a ml doesn't have the nice conclusion where you can find answers to
already solved issues. There might be one answer in a msg, yes. But you
have to find it. More often, the answer(s) are in several of the msgs.
What we need is a combination of a ml for discussions and solving issues
and a final resting place for the formatted answer(s) to the problem for
later retrieval.

brad

--
Brad Fuller