Re: [linux-audio-user] linux audio wiki

From: Erik Steffl <steffl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 22:22:24 EEST

Pete Bessman wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:25:25 +1000, "Shayne O'Connor"
... GNU/Linux vs. Linux discussion snipped ...
> You think that, to some fuzzily defined extent, we should say
> "GNU/Linux" because that's The Right Thing. This is ideological.

   how is it The Right Thing? GNU is free software, you can take it a
release under ANY name you wish, that's what GPL is for (among other
things).

   pretending that calling it GNU/Linux is somehow logical or "right" is
just ridiculous, offending even.

   (yes, it makes some sense to request it on basis of getting
recognition for GNU but that's a bit different (and definitely does not
make it The Right Thing, at most it's 'a nice thing to do'))

        erik