Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] wiki.freeaudiosoftware.org online

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 18:57:16 EEST

On Sunday 28 August 2005 12:16 am, Esben Stien wrote:
> Emanuel Rumpf <x@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > It *is* a public wiki
>
> No, it's not; as you have to be registered; something I don't time to
> fiddle around with. All these irritating little issues to my
> workflow. I don't have time to play with stupid things;).

This may be more than most people want to get into, but sometimes I just get
inspired (by the devil?): ;-) (I'm (probably) being (overly) pedantic, I
know what you were getting at, but...)

A wiki can be;
    * publicly or privately writable
    * publicly or privately readable (private by virtue of being on an
intranet or, at least in the case of TWiki, private by virtue of marking
pages or entire webs (directories/folders) to be readable only by selected
individuals or groups)

Further, focusing more on writing (or registering) for the moment,
registration could be limited to a private group or open to anyone. In the
case of this wiki, iiuc, the intent is that it be open to all except spammers
(who, presumably, will be identified after the fact and then unregistered).

So, imho, for most definitions of public, this wiki is public (but does
require registration).

Even the C2 / Ward's / Portland Pattern Repository / Wiki Wiki (the original
wiki) is now experimenting with password(s).

regards,
Randy Kramer

PS:

Off Point, but I saw your request for a gateway between a forum and a mail
list, so I have to ask:

Will the forum be public? (Will registration be required to post? Will
registration be required to read?)

Is the linux-audio-users mail list public? (Is registration required?)

Is a moderated mail list public or private?

Is a mail list that only "publishes" posts from registered "members" (on which
there are no or very few restrictions) public or private?