[linux-audio-user] help needed with JACK options

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 15:51:32 EEST

Greetings:

  I'm preparing various materials regarding ALSA and JACK, and I need
some help understanding some of JACK's options. I've consulted the JACK
FAQ and the jackd man page, the existing explanations are clear enough
as far as they go, but they don't actually explain *why* a user wants or
doesn't want to activate certain options. Namely:

1) What will the -m and -u memory options do for a normal user ? Under
what circumstances is it appropriate to use them ? What exactly does it
mean to unlock a GUI library's memory, and again, how/when does it
benefit the normal user ? Are there reasons a user should not enable
these options ?

2) I understand audio dithering conceptually, but what would be a
typical situation when I would enable it in JACK ?

3) Is there any particular good reason a user would *not* want -R enabled ?

4) Regarding the "Force 16-bit" option: When would a normal user want to
activate this option ?

  The FAQ and man pages are informative enough for the remaining
options. Any help with the questions above will be hugely appreciated.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips