Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux-Music and making a living...

From: Tom Poe <tompoe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 04:59:32 EEST

Cesare offered the following on 09/09/2005 08:00 PM:
> tim hall wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 08 September 2005 23:54, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>>

>>> My statement "muddying the waters" was
>>> actually more a chilidish jab at Tim for the same statement he made
>>> toward me for some twisted diatribe I used in a previous thread
>>>

>> Heh :)
>>
>> I'm going to attempt to get back on-topic for a moment.
>>
>> The issues with making music for a living are not specific to Linux.
>> Only a very small percentage of performers and writers become rich
>> through their music. It's possible to have a number one hit and still
>> be living on the equivalent of welfare. Many people who get signed to
>> major record labels discover that all their money has been spent and
>> mysteriously ended up in the hands of some lawyers. For many musicians
>> 'success' lasts a couple of years and then they go back to the day
>> job, being nobody special.
>>
>> There are other ways to make money from music, you can slog your way
>> around the pubs and clubs playing covers. You will notice that the
>> engineers always get paid. You could run a studio, write film music,
>> teach guitar, lead stress management workshops for corporate
>> businesses. Linux doesn't really change any of this.
>>
>> What we do have is a potential solution. It is possible, using Open
>> Source software to record an album for minimal outlay. A couple of
>> hundred quid on hardware. Using Creative Commons we also have a
>> potential free distribution network. So you can easily give your music
>> away.
>>
>> How does this help us earn a living? I'm not talking about being a
>> breadhead here, I'm talking food, rent and bills. This must be the
>> quandary faced by most free software writers too. The software is
>> free, music is free, what's the problem? The problem I'm most acutely
>> aware of is that in order to get _good_ at anything you have to make
>> certain life choices, you have to do that thing every day, often to
>> the exclusion of other activities that could be making you stinking
>> rich, well, maybe.
>>
>> Singles, remember them? Who ever made any money releasing singles? We
>> have the ability to release singles for free now, so release 2 or 3
>> singles on CC licenses and if they want more they can buy the album.
>> You can dramatically save on the cost of producing demos this way too.
>> We still charge for live performances, although it has to be said, I
>> still do a lot of that for free - running a local folk club, benefit
>> gigs, etc. And not forgetting, we can charge people for setting up and
>> providing support for their computer music systems.
>>
>> At the end of the day, I write music and I want that music to be heard
>> by anyone who wants to hear it. I would dearly love not to have to do
>> all the other boring stuff that I have to do to survive and be able to
>> concentrate one-pointedly on my creativity. Wouldn't we all?
>>
>> The reality starts right here, right now. :)
>>

> Some more reality here:

> [...]
How about specifics? There's a system out there, that says, get signed
by a major record label, and you get rich. How about an Open Source
plan, one with clear steps to follow?

Sell 20,000 CDs and get 50% of the USD$10 price/CD, and we're earning
USD$100,000 a year, just from CD sales. But, how do we do that?
Specifically!?

First step: Our mindset has to be just right. Think of all the
singer/songwriter/musician types in the world that have no idea how to
turn on a computer, let alone record their own stuff on their own
recording studio that cost them peanuts, even free, if they're broke,
like me. I have one. Realize that we list members are miles ahead of
the game, and get going.

Next step: We can't sell those 20,000 CDs, if we don't offer them to
listeners. Get our online store running now. If we have no money, then
use an online store that will front all the costs up front. They'll
package our CD song file(s), print our CD covers, inserts, and put it in
a case, send it out, provide the merchant account so people can pay with
credit card online, and we spend nothing out-of-pocket.
www.cafepress.com is a good starting point. Look around, and get your
music packaged for purchase.

Who buys one song on a CD, and a work in progress at that? Our mothers,
for one. She'll also be buying a shirt, hat, mug, and all the other
standard gear. Oh, and she'll buy a lot of the personalized postage
stamps. . . did you know you can sell your personal postage stamps?

Next step: Follow the licensing that Tim and Russell and Cesare talk
about. It sits on top of your copyright, specifically to open up extra
protection on the Internet, and make our dreams come true.

Once all that's done, it's done. From then on, just a matter of
updating, improving, and marketing/communicating. Twenty years from
now, we're doing whatever we're doing, and the steps taken are still
brand new and interesting to future listeners. In other words, our
music CDs are for purchase by listeners, just as they were twenty years ago.

Ten Mile Tide band put some of their songs on the P2P circuit, and six
months later, all members of the band were able to quit their day jobs.
  It didn't happen, until they acted. They didn't wait for the perfect
song, they just did it. It works. If you need a cheerleader, help
getting your store, internet strategy up and running, let us know. All
our services are free.
Tom

--
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA