Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa rme96 jack - 186 msec latency?

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 23:35:53 EEST

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:53:59PM +0200, Michael Wagner wrote:
> On 9/11/05, Michael Rudolf <mich.rudolf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 7168.
> > delay of 106612.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21289.000;
> > restart ...
> > delay of 106612.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21289.000;
> > restart ...
> > delay of 106612.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21289.000;
> > restart ...
> > delay of 106612.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21289.000;
> > restart ...
> Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if this comment is useless ;-)
> I also run a rme96 Soundcard (The DIGI96/8 PST... got it for free ^_^)
> and also had the problem, that I got xruns all the time. It turned
> out, that I needed to activate the Analog Input in Alsa, when nothing
> is connected to the digital Inputs!:
> $ amixer cset numid=5 3
> Well, my latency is still bad, but I didn't have enough time yet to
> resolve it, and haven't done any recording with it yet... but at
> least, this solved my xrun-Problem...

I can confirm this as well. It seems if the card is set to digital input
and no external digital device is connected it doesn't know what sample
rate it's supposed to use. Thanks for mentioning it Michael. I had
forgotten this detail.

You can set the control with alsamixer or rmedigicontrol from alsa-tools
as well as with the amixer command Michael posted.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia