[linux-audio-user] TeamSpeak voe's and Hardware advice.

From: Joacim Jacobsson <j.jacobsson@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 11:21:14 EEST

Hi all!

  I tried searching the archive's but they dont want to play it seems.

  I have a laptop with a crappy AC'97 sound chip. I almost made myself
bald trying to get software mixing to work so I can run TeamSpeak and
cedega (WoW in my case) at the same time. Finaly I managed it with a
un-holy alliance between dmix/dsnoop with TeamSpeak talking to artsd.
To me, all this is hairy in the extreme, and it munche's cpu-cycles
like a 3 year old in an candy-store. aoss & TeamSpeak simply does not
work. Not in any shape or form.

  So, looking to aleviate my problems I went looking for some new
hardware that would do hardware mixing. I was seduced by the sexyness
of usb-headset's and bought myself a Plantronics GameCom Pro 1,
thinking to myself "It's got a DSP, it does hardware mixing surely?".
No, no it does not. At least not with snd-usb-audio. I dont actualy
know if it's the headset or the drivers. If you have any pointer's or
expeirences with this I would love to hear from you.

  Being slightly unhappy with this (not to unhappy tough, the GameCom
is a lot easier on the ear than the builtin) I went looking again for
a solution. And I found this:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769&nav=0
and now I'm salivating again. But this time I have managed to keep my
credit-card in it's holster long enough to ask here first. Anyone have
any experience with this sort of thing? Will this do Hardware mixing?
Releasing me from my struggle's with arts dmix/dsnoop and it's ilk? Is
it, in short, the answer to my parayers?

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide.

//Joacim Jacobsson