Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: midi keyboard controller

From: Emiliano Grilli <emillo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 10:49:26 EEST

venerd?, 23 settembre 2005 alle 10:13:51, Loki Davison ha scritto:
> > but dont take my word for it, i use a FATAR controller from the 80s..
> >

> > > does anyone know if this works with that kinda setup?
> > >
> > > does anyone else have any other suggestions?
> > >
> > > thanks!

> I've got an evolution mk425c which seems to work fine for me. I mean
> it doesn't feel like a piano or anything but for 100 euro, with lots
> of knobs, etc it's pretty good. Super easy install, plugin, turn on.
> Evolution are linux friendly. No effort required at all. Think the
> evolution stuff looks way better than the sister brand maudio stuff.
> It's pretty solid, i mine has been through 4 international airports in
> my backpack, with only a pretty minor stratch and a slightly bent
> knob. ;-)

I also have the mk425c, and I agree it's a small lovely device. Major
benefits are:

1) completely plug and play on linux
2) USB powered
3) small, handy and very portable
4) can send MMC commands (eg. to command ardour)
5) lot of configurable buttons and knobs

But... I also have a roland PC180a and I have to say that the primary
problem of mk425c is the keyboard itself. The Roland is much more
playable (apart from having more octaves), you can control velocity much
much better on the Roland.

Note that neither one is a weighted keyboard.

So my thought is that if you want a small MIDI controller for putting
some notes and (lot of) controllers into the computer, the evolution is
perfect. But if you want something to record keyboard performances...
you might want to look for Roland or bigger, weighted master keyboards.
I never tried an m-audio, nor any other keyboard. but I have a direct
comparison between these two and here are my impressions. BTW, I use
them both ;)

HTH ciao

--
Emiliano Grilli