Re: [linux-audio-user] Simple song in Ardour...

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 10:33:56 EEST

David wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:29:22 -0700
>Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>>Time to stick my heart on my sleeve I guess!
>>
>>Instrumental only...Titled "Sunday Arvo" Why....er...Cause it was
>>recorded on a Sunday arvo! I did this back in Ardour Beta 28 I think
>>in about 3 hrs. Very simple and lots of rough edges.
>>
>>Song is posted in Mp3 (sorry) format on the LAM page as well as
>>here...
>>
>>http://hanaghan.mystarband.net/Sunday%20Arvo.mp3
>>
>>Let me know what you think.
>>

>A soulful piece, thanks. :)
>
>Production-wise, someting like turning your screen off while recording
>or anything that could do to keep that buzz shut, without eating to much
>of your sound, would make your track a delight. The acoustic guitar
>nicely fills my heaphones cups and, no matter the noise, your somewhat
>crisp acoustic guitar sound certainly gives a personality to your
>recording.
>
>I like your "less is more" approach a lot ! Your song sounds
>pretty american to my european ears, but in a very tasty way. Good
>things from America coming along ! :)
>

>>R~
>>

>Keep on playing, !

Thank you ALL for your kind and constructive comments.

On reflection I should have gated my guitar amp. At least in the final
mix. It was my nasty ol' Tele single coil pickups with one too many
Florescent lights and monitors and fx pedals, etc.

As for the Not quite all American sound...well, thats because I'm not
quite all American. I'm Australian but have lived in the US for 16 yrs!
:) Seen too much Leo Kottke! :) Michael Hedges is awesome too but he's
British I think. Got a lot of exposure in the US for awhile.

On another note, to anyone that has reservations sharing music they have
recorded and have that "perfectionist" streak that tends to inhibit them
from airing anything that is less than a Beatles Hit...Be NOT afraid! :)
I ~was~ that perfectionist...and it stopped me from having some fun!
Instead of over thinking the music structure and working myself into a
nervous mess BEFORE I even hit the record button...I said to
myself..."Self, lets DO SOMETHING, even IF it sucks!" And after the
acoustic take, I listened back and thought...ok...that's not
bad...BUT.... And the real test is when I listen 2 hrs later after
being distracted! I put it on while having a cigarette down stairs and
listened again. For the first time I could say to myself, "I like
that!!" :) Not from Ego or any other false bravado. Simply, I like it!
And the folks here are very gracious yet constructive in their critism~
Ron could have said "Them notes at 2:11 SUCK! You Byte dood...give up!"
:) And he did not...but he did state his case which is appreciated.
If everyone says "Yeah buddy, nice job" without any sincerity, I learn
nothing! And as for the Buzz in the mix...I guess I knew better...but
again, I let the creative part take over and drive the bus. The bum
notes at 2:11....All else was acceptable to me in that take so I left
that in for fear of not capturing the rest of the feel in the first
take. Not necessarily the best or right decision but I've played it to
friends and you guys! I'm not trying to convince Nashville I have a hit! :)

"Be NOT AFRAID and "Press Record"
Cheers,
R~