Re: [linux-audio-user] Simple song in Ardour...

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 14:33:59 EEST

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 08:33, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> David wrote:
> >On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:29:22 -0700
> >
> >Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >>Time to stick my heart on my sleeve I guess!
> >>
> >>Instrumental only...Titled "Sunday Arvo" Why....er...Cause it was
> >>recorded on a Sunday arvo! I did this back in Ardour Beta 28 I think
> >>in about 3 hrs. Very simple and lots of rough edges.
> >>
> >>Song is posted in Mp3 (sorry) format on the LAM page as well as
> >>here...
> >>
> >>http://hanaghan.mystarband.net/Sunday%20Arvo.mp3
> >>
> >>Let me know what you think.

That's flippin' Luvverly Russell! Nice One! I particularly like the sound
you've got on the acoustic. I could personally have done with hearing more of
the electric, you could always duck out the run at 2:11, either that or
feature it (heh ;). The buzz doesn't bother me, I like a bit of 'rattle &
hum' in my music.

> On another note, to anyone that has reservations sharing music they have
> recorded and have that "perfectionist" streak that tends to inhibit them
> from airing anything that is less than a Beatles Hit...Be NOT afraid! :)
> I ~was~ that perfectionist...and it stopped me from having some fun!
> Instead of over thinking the music structure and working myself into a
> nervous mess BEFORE I even hit the record button...I said to
> myself..."Self, lets DO SOMETHING, even IF it sucks!" And after the
> acoustic take, I listened back and thought...ok...that's not
> bad...BUT.... And the real test is when I listen 2 hrs later after
> being distracted! I put it on while having a cigarette down stairs and
> listened again. For the first time I could say to myself, "I like
> that!!" :) Not from Ego or any other false bravado. Simply, I like it!

That is actually the real test. Most of us are our own worst critics. When it
stops hurting I find it's usually right.

> And the folks here are very gracious yet constructive in their critism~
> Ron could have said "Them notes at 2:11 SUCK! You Byte dood...give up!"
>
> :) And he did not...but he did state his case which is appreciated.
>
> If everyone says "Yeah buddy, nice job" without any sincerity, I learn
> nothing! And as for the Buzz in the mix...I guess I knew better...but
> again, I let the creative part take over and drive the bus. The bum
> notes at 2:11....All else was acceptable to me in that take so I left
> that in for fear of not capturing the rest of the feel in the first
> take. Not necessarily the best or right decision but I've played it to
> friends and you guys! I'm not trying to convince Nashville I have a hit! :)
>
> "Be NOT AFRAID and "Press Record"

Or feel the fear and do it anyway. Nothing like a bit of nervousness to really
get those creative juices flowing.

That's on my playlist, I think it'll sit well next to "Tide". :)

--
cheers,
tim hall