Re: [linux-audio-user] patch-2.6.13-rt14 breaks compile on AMD64

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 11:09:13 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have a newish AMD64 machine. NForce4 chipset. Asus A8N-E
> motherboard. PCI-Express 16x graphics, etc. No matter what I try I've
> been constantly stopped from building a 2.6.13 kernel with Ingo's rt14
> patch.
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> AS arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.o
> AS arch/x86_64/lib/csum-copy.o
> CC arch/x86_64/lib/csum-partial.o
> CC arch/x86_64/lib/csum-wrappers.o
> CC arch/x86_64/lib/dec_and_lock.o
> CC arch/x86_64/lib/delay.o
> AS arch/x86_64/lib/getuser.o
> AS arch/x86_64/lib/putuser.o
> AS arch/x86_64/lib/thunk.o
> CC arch/x86_64/lib/usercopy.o
> AR arch/x86_64/lib/lib.a
> GEN .version
> CHK include/linux/compile.h
> UPD include/linux/compile.h
> CC init/version.o
> LD init/built-in.o
> LD .tmp_vmlinux1
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x24acc): In function `acpi_processor_idle':
> : undefined reference to `tsc_c3_compensate'
> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
> lightning linux #
>
> The 2.6.13 kernel builds fine before I apply the patch but fails afterward.
>
> I do not find the error message
>
> undefined reference to `tsc_c3_compensate'
>
> in Google so maybe it's just me and my kernel config. I've attached
> the config file zipped. I've tried some obvious stuff like completely
> disabling ACPI, etc., but I haven't found anything that works yet.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas. This has held up my new AMD64 machine
> being useful for a few weeks now.

I'm spotting a very similar message when building 2.6.13.x-rt14, but as
a module linkage warning, not a fatal build error.

Maybe that's because I try to configure _everything_ I can as a module,
not as built-in. As this has been just a warning on the module install
phase I got along and all seems to boot and run fine -- except for some
acpi stuff e.g. I've lost thermal zone sensor on my laptop, but that
didn't look like a big deal.

Yep, that's it... I found the exact messages in my attic, although from
an erlier build:

WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.13.1-rt13.0mdk/kernel/drivers/char/hangcheck-timer.ko
needs unknown symbol do_monotonic_clock
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.13.1-rt13.0mdk/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko needs
unknown symbol tsc_c3_compensate

How about reporting to Ingo and/or the lkml? As you can see its not an
AMD64 issue, because I don't have such a beast here.

Bye.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden