[linux-audio-user] External audio interface (edirol FA/UA-101)

From: Dmitry Baikov <dsb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 12:59:11 EEST

Hello!
I'm in the process of choosing mobile audio interface for both live sets
and studio recording.
I need minimal possible latency and 8x8 analog I/O.

The two from Edirol - FA-101 ($680) and UA-101($600) look promising, but
I'd like to hear about personal experience.

UA-101 is an USB 2.0 interface. AFAIU it imposes 1ms buffers, and 3
buffers setup in jackd. So, it should give 3ms minimal latency (but at
48 & 96 kHz only).
Is it possible in practice? And for what number of channels? Also, is FW
much better than USB2 and why?

As for FW solution, FreeBob project's site states FA-101 works, but I'd
like to know about minimal possible latency. And does it have any
restrictions on buffers/frequency setup?

As for RME Multiface ($700) + Cardbus ($390) (for notebook) + PCI ($300)
(for desktop), it's much more expensive solution, and AFAIK it's hard to
find notebook with appropriate PCMCIA controller to get 64-sample
(minimal) buffers to work reliable.

If there are better options, I'd like to hear about them also.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Dmitry.

P.S. Prices are for Russia, where I live.