Re: [linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 13:58:15 EEST

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Antonio wrote:

> Hi Burkhard, Mark, Peder,
>
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 09:19 +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> > If you have that you shouldn't have to have any entry in fstab;
> > the kernel automounts /dev/shm with 1777 permissions.
> > I've read that having fstab mount /dev/shm after the kernel has mounted
> > it might cause xruns.

> How can I obtain that shm is mounted on boot with the right permission
> without the fstab entry? It really matters that fstab entry?

 Hmm, guess I was a bit wrong about the kernele automounting.
 In Mandrake /dev/shm is mounted by /etc/rc.sysinit :
   mount -n -t tmpfs none /dev/shm
 after it has mounted devpts.
 I guess you could have it mounted either way (but not both).
 Do you have a fstab entry and if so, what does it look like?

 - Peder