Re: [linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

From: nigel henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 17:49:48 EEST

On Thursday 29 Sep 2005 12:37 pm, Antonio wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 12:58 +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> [cut]
>
> > In Mandrake /dev/shm is mounted by /etc/rc.sysinit :
> > mount -n -t tmpfs none /dev/shm
> > after it has mounted devpts.
> > I guess you could have it mounted either way (but not both).
> > Do you have a fstab entry and if so, what does it look like?
>
> I had no fstab entry for shm in my debian etch (testing) system.
> So /dev/shm had wrong permission. I don't now if this is a bug in the
> jackd pachage. However, if I do one of these three things I get the
> right permission so jack can start from normal user:
>
> 1) Add to fstab:
> shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
>
> 2) manually mont shm with:
> # mount -t tmpfs shm /dev/shm
>
> 3) change the permissions:
> # chomd a+rwx /dev/shm
>
> So use 1) for now (as suggested by Mark previously). Is this the best
> solution on debian? (Not that I don't trust Mark, but only to ask if
> debian has a specific behaviour here).
>
> [OT]
> I don't have a devpts entry in fstab, should debian must have one?
> (infact I currently have to manually mount devpts to open a subshell,
> for example CRTL+O in mc).
> [/OT]
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> ~ Antonio

Hi. I have 3 Debian installs that started off as Woody 3.0r2, then upgraded to
Sarge (which was then testing) One of these is now getting updates from
testing which is now Etch. I looked in my /etc/fstab and don't have that
entry either and yet jack starts ok as user. The only extras in /etc/fstab
are for the 2.6 kernel.
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

I admit I had some problems getting Debian's sound working, having only
previously worked on sounds on FC1 & FC2 from planetccrma, and Slackware 10.0
with Audioslacks mmkernel and packages. Some folks on lists helped me with
the Debian sounds. I had to add myself to the audio group, and as I don't
have realtime, had to uncheck the realtime box in qjackctl before jack would
start. This worked fine as user for kernel 2.4.27, apart from having to
comment out in /etc/hotplug/blacklist the entry for awe_wave which I also
added to /etc/modules. This is to enable the loading of soundfonts on my
Audigy2 soundblaster card. For the 2.6 kernels I had to add more modules to
/etc/modules to get my usb midi keyboard working, as below.
snd-usb-audio
uhci-hcd
snd-emu10k1-synth (needed for loading soundfonts onto Audigy2 soundblaster
card for 2.6 kernel)

Also nothing to do with sounds, but X wouldn't start with 2.6 kernel, and had
to add mousedev & psmouse to /etc/modules which fixed this.

You are no doubt a member of the audio group. If not, the synax as root, is.
#usermod -G audio your_user_name. All the best. Nigel.

Debian Sarge/Etch
Kernels: 2.4.27, 2.6.8, 2.6.11
Alsa version: 2.4.27 kernel. Alsa 1.0.9. 2.6.11 kernel, Alsa 1.0.8