Re: [linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

From: nigel henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 19:22:53 EEST

On Thursday 29 Sep 2005 2:53 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 9/29/05, Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > If you have that you shouldn't have to have any entry in fstab;
> > the kernel automounts /dev/shm with 1777 permissions.
> > I've read that having fstab mount /dev/shm after the kernel has mounted
> > it might cause xruns.
> >
> > The fstab entry, I think, is only for 2.4 kernels.
> >
> > - Peder
>
> This information doesn't reflect how things appear to work here. It
> may be distro dependent.
>
> - Mark

Hi. Just having read the post, I booted up Debian Sarge/Etch with the
2.4.27-2-386 kernel and that /etc/fstab entry still isn't there, and yet
everything works ok, apart from realtime. Interesting also, is that in
qjackctl jacks starts with the 2.4 kernel with the jackd command, and yet in
FC1 which uses the 2.4 kernel it's necessary to change this to jackstart. I
sympathise with anyone having permissions problems, having suffered them
myself. Sometimes even convincing myself that it's a permissions problem
,then finding out that permissions have nothing to do with the problem.
Probably some sort of paranoia that the machine won't let you do want you
want it to do. Don't give up. Nigel.