Re: [linux-audio-user] AGNULA nightmares, again

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 00:18:43 EEST

On Thursday 06 October 2005 15:49, tim hall wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2005 16:19, Laura Conrad was like:
> >     th> That is, assuming I don't lose the will to live while I'm
> >     th> waiting for the page to display in my browser.
> >
> > Yes, when I tried to display the page to see what Dave was talking
> > about, I kept wondering how anyone even got as far as being able to
> > complain about it.
>
> This is now in the process of being fixed along with various other
> glitches. :)

Hi Tim. This is always a problem when running a webserver off a dialup
connection. Joking aside, and back to the big AGNULA nightmares problem.

I trolled around a bit on my Debian Sarge's synaptic. Pump is described as a
tool for retrieving IP addresses, using dhcp or bootp. (don't know what bootp
is, perhaps someone will tell me). The word pump, thinking back to old-time
detective movies is to do with obtaining information from informants.
Something like "lets pump the guy and see what he comes up with" . I suppose
this fits in quite well with the Linux useage of the word. Like. Lets pump
the dhcp server and see what IP address it throws back. The only other
network config tools I could find on Sarge were "network-console-config"
which appears to be tied into running base-config, and "netapplet" , which
to quote says "USER-FRIENDLY NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROL APPLET" "Network
applet allows the user to control the currently active network interface and
perform a small amount of run-time configuration. It is primarily aimed at
laptop users who need to be able to switch between different network setups
and wireless networks" . That sounds like it coiuld be quite usefull to
laptop users. Of course I don't know if either of these programs are on
DeMuDi. I did DL the iso,but can't remember where I've put it, and didn't
have any CDR's at the time to burn it to. When I find it I'll try it, and see
what networking stuff came down with it. May the force be with you. Nigel.