[linux-audio-user] determining filetype of unknownaudio files?

From: Matt Price <matt.price@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 00:43:20 EEST

Hi folks,

I just discovered two very ancient audio files on my computer. I am
pretty sure they contain some interesting archival material in which I
am very interested ... but I can't get them to play. The problem is
that I don't know what format they're in -- I created them a number of
years ago on a mac, and I no longer remember how -- maybe using
protools? or maybe someone else made them for me in some other
format? Anyway, when I copied them over to linux (eons ago!) I must
have lost the resouce forks, and there are no standard .xxx file codes
on the file names. I tried just loading the files in xmms and
audacity, but neither recognizes them (well, audacity sees one of the
two files as a very short burst of static, but the other it can't
recognize. I also tried:

cat Audio1-01 > /dev/dsp, which of course gave an incoherent squeal.

nevertheless I'm pretty confident they really are audio files.

soooo... what tools would you suggest I use to determine the file's
origins and type?

thanks,
matt