Re: [linux-audio-user] determining filetype of unknownaudio files?

From: carmen <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 02:34:51 EEST

> I just discovered two very ancient audio files on my computer. I am
> pretty sure they contain some interesting archival material in which I
> am very interested ... but I can't get them to play. The problem is
> that I don't know what format they're in -- I created them a number of
> years ago on a mac, and I no longer remember how -- maybe using

InfoAudio has worked great for files made on my Mac in 1992 with no resource forks, extensions, or descriptive names (mostly .snd, .aiff, .sdII, .au, etc) ..theres some pd patches that then use the info reported to manually override all the bitrate/endianness/samplerate/etc settings to soundfiler/sfread at http://whats-your.name/pd (player.pd maybe, or try w.pd and follow the subpatch tree).

InfoAudio is in ftp://ftp.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca//pub/AFsp/AFsp-v8r1.tar.gz5B5B