[linux-audio-user] Re: Short movie with music

From: norv <norv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 05:13:55 EEST

Thanks for the comments on the movie, I'm well chuffed!

1) This proves that Cinelerra can actually make a movie. My son and I
have tried a number of times to use it and haven't figured out the
first thing about it.

2) Groovy little sound track. How did you go about building the sound
against the movie? Is it a single audio track output from Ardour, or
is ti a bunch of pieces that are then laid down in Cinelerra against
the video somehow?

Hey Mark I will post a howto somewhere soon.. I export a stereo .wav
from Ardour, try it against the rough cut of the movie, and go back to
Ardour to change it if needs be. Can't run Ardour and Cinelerra in sync
AFAIK. There's an app called xjadeo (x-jack-video...) that will run
audio and video together but I haven't got that going on my 64 box yet.

  Cool work. I especially liked the sound of the slide guitar, sounded a
lot like the pedal steel in King Sunny Ade's music.

Thanks Dave, the slide seemed to fit into the rise and fall of bikes
going up and down over things... and I love that KSA sound! More coming
as time permits..

Thanks Cesare and Nigel for the encouragement and Ron, I'm glad you like
the pix but it's much better with the sound - lol!
Cheers
Norv

PS: Here's a summary of the forthcomin (hopefully!) howto

SUMMARY

1. Shoot some movies on a digital still camera in movie mode
   (If you can get a video camera, then use that!)

2. Capture movies, ie. copy/move them from the camera to a hard drive

3. Convert the camera files to a format that the video editor (in this
case Cinelerra) will understand

4. Load the converted files into the editor and do a rough assembly of
the material

5. Make some music, for example starting with a Hydrogen drum track

6. Add the other instruments. At this stage, less is more

7. Rough mix the music and export a 48kHz stereo .wav file

8. Load the .wav file into Cinelerra and play film and music together

9. Fine tune picture and sound

10. Export the project as a Quicktime4Linux .mov file

11. Convert the .mov to preferred web-friendly format

12. Upload to web

13. Convert (320x240) .mov to PAL MPEG video and audio files

14. mplex MPEG video and audio streams into DVD-friendly MPEG-2 file

15. Create DVD menu images and sound

16. Assemble menu MPEGs

17. Create .xml file to organise DVD contents

18. Create DVD iso image with dvdauthor

19. Test DVD image with Xine

20. Burn DVD image to DVD with growisofs