Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 18:48:40 EEST

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:59 +0200, Cesare wrote:
> I think that a clean solution to host vst plugins (at least the effects)
> could be this : taking the wine approach (and maybe some code) and just
> implement those calls that are relevant to audio plugins (file access
> for loading and saving presets, math libraries etc.) without handling
> graphics at all.We have the info for the effect parameters in the dll
> and we can provide a standard interface (like the simpler vst effects in
> cubase) to tweak parameters.
>
> Is this possible?

absolutely not possible.

> I mean, is there a (not too difficult) way to link a win32 dll to a
> linux executable if you provide wrappers for the functions called inside it?

this is i mean by saying that there is *lot* more to getting this stuff
to work than knowing C. the infrastructure required to support plugins
is much larger than you think. support win32 critical sections, which
many plugins use, actually requires a client/server architecture within
wine. there is lots more ....

and in addition, i would note that most people who want to use vst
plugins *want* the GUIs that go with them. i know several vst plugins
that would be almost unusable without their own GUI, and almost all
VSTi's would be have to be added to that list.