[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 16:25:39 EEST

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 08:43 -0400, Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the Linux distros started moving to gcc4 is obvious that many old
> applications will not compile. Unfortunately one of those applications
> is Wine 20040505, the only version you can use for Jack_fst. I don't
> know what is the satus of the project but I really hope is not dead and
> that we see an upgrade. I keep finding a big demand for using VST
> plugins in Linux so there should be another reason why this kind of
> tools are not being developed. Is it a legal one? I'm just curious. I
> know that LADSPA plugins are becoming very good substitutes but there
> are some really good VST instruments that I hardly see being ported to
> LADSPA (e.g. Synful Orchestra). I tried to make jack_fst work using a
> patch found in the wine-list
> http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2004/10/0451.html but it
> didn't work for me. I just hope that the developers keep the good work
> and help the linux-audio community... or maybe I should learn C and
> start working on it :-)

just ignore it for now unless you want to get deeply into it. eventually
some combination of torben and myself will get it working again with any
wine distro. it will take a *lot* more than just learning C, believe me.

the key thing to keep in mind is that the basic idea behind jack_fst
(using wine as a library) turns out to have been a bad one.

until one of us has the time or interest, its not going to happen. but i
do want to do this for ardour, so my motivation is there.

--p