Re: [linux-audio-user] professional audio measurement with linux (?) -- a conclusion -and a minor problem with jack

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 22:13:23 EEST

Florian Schmidt wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:40:29 +0400
>Andrew Gaydenko <a@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>>[OT] I don't see any reason to get mic more expensive than
>>50-70 USD (for example, ECM8000) - I mean _measurement_ mic.

it all depends on what you need to do and how accurate you want to be!

>I always wondered (due to pretty much non existing experience with
>mic'ing stuff) why measurement mics aren't used for recording vocals and
>instruments more? Is the color that's being added by expensive special
>purpose intrument/vocal mics the reason?

nail on the head.
Because mics have widely varying characteristics, some lend themselves
more favorable for specific recording tasks than others. On the other
hand, you can use a mic that has been often used for a particular
purpose (say a U87 for voice or a 421 for toms) and use it differently
to obtain a different sound than known in the industry. Usually comes
down to personal taste. And, more often when in the business, it's what
you know to get the job done on time (e.g. recording commercials == not
a lot of time to experiment!)

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124