Re: [linux-audio-user] professional audio measurement with linux (?) -- a conclusion -and a minor problem with jack

From: Dan Mills <dmills@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 16:11:49 EEST

On Sunday 16 October 2005 15:27, Esben Stien wrote:
> Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > why (are) measurement mics [..] (not) used for recording vocals and
> > instruments more?
>
> The way I understand it, is because most audio people are not
> engineers and they use their ears to listen. The colorization of
> certain mics may distort the sound in a pleasant way and they judge it
> by that.

The other reason is that omnis have very poor isolation (obviously), and thus
unless you have a very good room tend to pick up far too much of the room.

There are however people doing good work using these, I know several people
using the DPA stuff to great effect (mainly on classical recordings), and
Earthworks have taken the measurement omni and produced versions for
recording and SR usage.

> I would use a measurement mic to record anything (if I could afford
> it) and then rather process the signal afterwards. This would be the
> epitome of high fidelity audio engineering, or so is my understanding.

Just as long as you can live with the bleed and your room sounds nice.

The other major application of omnis by the way is in the very small capsules
required for head worn radio mics (either on a boom, or worn in the
hairline), they sound much more natural in this application. Again DPA have a
line of capsules that has been developed for this use.

Regards, Dan.