Re: [linux-audio-user] professional audio measurement with linux (?) -- a conclusion -and a minor problem with jack

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 16:17:06 EEST

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:27:24 +0200
Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name> wrote:

> I would use a measurement mic to record anything (if I could afford
> it) and then rather process the signal afterwards. This would be the
> epitome of high fidelity audio engineering, or so is my understanding.

I suppose one cannot model all the nonlinear characteristics of every
microphone. The nonlinear part might be very small though compared to
linear characteristics which can me modeled i.e. vs. convolution.

> > Is the color that's being added by expensive special purpose
> > intrument/vocal mics the reason?
>
> So it seems.

Another reason might be the different directional characteristics
(sorry, dunno the correct english word), but i could imagine measurement
mics are available with different directional characteristics, too.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org