Re: [linux-audio-user] Miscellaneous hardware/software questions

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 13:29:42 EET

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 16:39 +1100, Jason White wrote:
> Now to the software question: does there exist any sound editor with a
> non-graphical interface, i.e., one that can be operated from the Linux console
> for inserting, deleting, copying and otherwise editing audio? Due to a
> vision-related disability I can't use a graphical display and therefore need a
> text-only solution - but all the sound editors appear to require X11. Surely
> it should be possible to design an audio interface to a digital sound editor.

i have no doubt that its possible. i also have no doubt that there is a
PhD waiting for the first person to do this. you are talking about
developing an entirely new set of user interface metaphors for a
potentially very complex task. this is never easy, and doing it without
using the sensory input that the vast majority of programmers utilize
during their own interactions with a computer makes it even harder.

--p