Re: [linux-audio-user] Miscellaneous hardware/software questions

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 14:29:40 EET

At 6:29 -0500 1/11/05, Paul Davis wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 16:39 +1100, Jason White wrote:
> > Now to the software question: does there exist any sound editor with a
> > non-graphical interface, i.e., one that can be operated from the
>Linux console
> > for inserting, deleting, copying and otherwise editing audio? Due to a
> > vision-related disability I can't use a graphical display and
>therefore need a
> > text-only solution - but all the sound editors appear to require
>X11. Surely
> > it should be possible to design an audio interface to a digital
>sound editor.
>
>i have no doubt that its possible. i also have no doubt that there is a
>PhD waiting for the first person to do this. you are talking about
>developing an entirely new set of user interface metaphors for a
>potentially very complex task. this is never easy, and doing it without
>using the sensory input that the vast majority of programmers utilize
>during their own interactions with a computer makes it even harder.

well .. there is the SND sound editor, which is billed as 'the emacs
of sound editors' .. details here:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/

the interface for SND itself can be fully programmed in Scheme
(courtesy of Guile) or you can use Ruby too .. all of SND's edit
functionality can be broken out into scripts, and this means
extensive control over buffered edits, so it seems to me to be pretty
close to what Jason was looking for .. assuming it can build on his
system.

seems to me that, while its not exactly a 'set up and go' solution to
the problem of having an editor usable by vision-impaired folks, it
certainly has all the hooks and gubbins to bring such a thing into
existence ..

--
;
Jay Vaughan