Re: [linux-audio-user] cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 21:07:05 EET

Florian Schmidt wrote:

>>> Weird. jackstart should only ever be used when you tell qjackctl to do
>>> it. See the setup tab -> server path. Make sure it's just "jackd" there.
>>>

>> dunno about carlos, but mine is set to "jackd" -- i still get the error.
>> note that jackd IS starting fine, but we ALSO get the jackstart sync
>> pipe error message. yeah... it's wierd.
>
> maybe it's a qjackctl bug. hmm..

Maybe.

IMO this error is pretty innocuous. It is only issued if jackd is built
with ./configure --enable-capabilities, which does not make sense
anymore for the 2.6 kernel line.

Apparentely the error is due to some mishap with the pipe file
descriptors that the jackstart launcher proccess uses to communicate
with the actual jackd process. Which are simply not used if you don't
use jackstart. However, jackd still tries to access the pipe if built
with capabilities enabled.

Maybe, it only happens when you tell qjackctl to capture the jackd
standard output into its own messages window, and those pipe/file
descriptors get loose (because it is assumed to be file descriptors
number 4 and 5, coincidentally right after the standard ones).

Just a though. Not sure.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden