Re: [linux-audio-user] SysEx dumps - warning newbie alert :)

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 14:21:30 EET

Hi,

> I reported it on the sourceforge bug tracker 2-3 weeks ago.

uhm, OK. MAybe I should close the bugtracker to get personal mails :) .

> > Anyway, sysexxer should work OK, but if you want to have real ALSA
> > support then use the CVS version.
>
> I'll have a look at this but so far I've not had much sucess using
> CVS with any package :(

Try:

Press Alt - F2
konsole
cd ./Desktop
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@email-addr-hidden:/cvsroot/sysexxer co sysexxer
cd sysexxer
make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make
./sysexxer

> > Furthermore, if you're using an USB MIDI device, please ensure that
> > you have *disabled* the audio and MIDI drivers in the USB driver
> > section of your kernel. Both are OSS drivers which conflict with
> > the snd_usb_audio driver in the sound section of your kernel
> > config.
>
> I don't know how to do this. I'm using Mandrake 10.1 as my distro and
> the M-Audio midisport 2x2. This all seems to work fine with
> Rosegarden (using both ports too).

I'd be interested if both modules exist on Mandriva; if so it's likely
that both get loaded as soon the Midisport gets plugged in and both
modules will fight for the device. Normal events will work then, but
sysex is problematic.

BTW: I'm also using a Midisport (the 8x8) and sysexxer works well with
all of my 8 completely different devices.

> > I once had lots of problems, some sysex packages lost the first
> > three bytes.
> >
> > Is it possible that you send me the sysex packages causing problems
> > via email?
>
> Unfortunately that's not possible. It's crashing as I send the dump
> *to* Sysexxer. It seems to occur as the dump nears completion. I
> tried increasing the buffer size but that made no difference.

Not necessary. Memory will be increased dynamically AFAIK.

If nothing works use amidi. It's a command line tool to exchange sysex.

> Just got your e-mails. I will follow up on them later... I have a
> *big* download in progress on DialUp and don't want to risk
> upsetting it!

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Best regards

    ce