Re: [linux-audio-user] terrible sineshaper dependencies

From: Tracey Hytry <shakti@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 12:08:07 EET

Fernando says:

> No, I don't think there are issues with multiple versions coexisting
> simultaneously (given properly designed packages). I don't know if gtk2
> would be a problem, most probably a package could be built for fc3 with
> a newer version of gtk2, thus allowing newer versions of the chain of
> dependencies to be installed, all the way to libglademm.

I've been down this path myself trying to get this to work, and realized that maybe it's just best for me to pass on trying out these couple of new audio apps. Like most things I feel that this will be worked out somewhere down the road.

> What I don't know is if it would be worth the effort given that fc4
> appears to have the proper versions. I'll cross that bridge when I get
> time to build those packages for Planet CCRMA...

And when you get that done there will be a whole bunch of new programs based on the lastest and greatest libraries that won't be able to be compiled on FC4? This has been happening for years, just a fact of life in the linux lane(which I prefer over the "it just works, trust us" software lines).

Anyway, I hope you can work this out. But I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I had to deal with it.

Tracey.