Re: [linux-audio-user] Problems starting JACK...

From: Carlos Pino <pinojazz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 16:55:37 EET

 Hi,sorry about the delay of the answer,I'd been very busy.
 First of all tank you very much for interesting in my message,I
couldn't imagine to have a response from the main developer of one of
the best things made for Linux-Audio,and excuse my english.

     I'm very newbie in this kind of linux tasks,and try to learn as
much as I can.
     I'm trying to build my own audio-system and compile only the more
ussual apps for me;Ardour and Jack are the main core of this.By now I
take the Demudi kernel till I learn to compile my own,and compile with
succes Ardour and some other apps.Before try to compile jack I installed
it from Sid and everythings works fine but the message that shows at
the window messages, that doesn't have influence with the normal
function of jackd.

Paul Davis escribió:

>On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 17:33 +0100, Carlos Pino wrote:
>

>> Yeah,you are right .I complied jackd as you say and the "cannot write
>>to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)" message doesn't
>>appears anymore.Now the problem is with ardour,that doesn't want to
>>start after thhis compilation.
>> Here is the output :
>>

>my guess is that you have just committed the cardinal sin of setting up
>your system so that there are two versions of JACK installed.you
>started one, and ardour is trying to start the other. i wish we could
>detect this situation and report it more accurately, but we don't know
>how to right now. you should never ever have more than 1 JACK install on
>a machine unless you are confident that you know everything there is to
>know about JACK, and perhaps not even then.

  Ok it will be present in the future.

>when you recompiled JACK, did you remove the old version first?

   I did many things in the procces and probably no.At the second time I
remove all about jack and try again.But if I remove the compilation
installed and do an apt-get install jackd,everything goes back to the
fine working but the "cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file
descriptor)" message return.

> what
>--prefix= argument did you give configure?

  First I did --prefix=/usr and later leave blank to use the default
settings

  Now I'm at the begin again,I removed all the jack staff and have the
source code to try to compile.I will read more about this and see what
happens.

>--p

 Again thank you very much for your interest.

Saludos from Spain
Cheers
-- Carlos.