Re: [linux-audio-user] Keyboard loss @ usb audio disconnect

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 16:04:02 EET

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 at 18:17 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 22:55 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > > Kernel: 2.6.11-0.3rdt.rhfc3.ccrma
> > > Alsa version: 1.0.9rc1
> >
> > thanks for the info.
> >
> > At least it appears that the bug is solved. I hesitate to update the
> > kernel, because the last time it caused *lots* of troubles on my
> > machine.
> >
> > Still dreaming about a stock kernel being perfect for audio use :) .
>
> 2.6.14 works great here.
>
> BTW upgrading your ALSA modules is not enough to fix this bug - since
> the bug was in the USB subsystem the kernel must be upgraded.

Not sure if I'm seeing the same problem, but it sounds like it might be.
My midi controller (keystation) works fine for day after day of minimal
use, and then one day I'll go to use it and it doesn't work. qjackctl
sees it and can establish connections, dmesg reports nothing unusual. It
just doesn't seem to be generating any events. I unplug its usb and it
disappears from qjackctl. I plug it back in and it reappears, but still
doesn't work. So I unplug the power and plug it back in, same thing. So
I unload snd-usb-audio and unplug the usb and plug it back in and the
same thing. Finally I give up and reboot.

Yesterday after rebooting, it still didn't work, so I unplugged all my
USB devices (keyboard, mouse, scanner, keystation) and plugged the
keystation back in, and then it worked.

Very frustrating and since dmesg doesn't say anything interesting and
afaict alsa things it's fine, I don't know where to look for more
information.

2.6.13-rt13, and the problem has been around for ages.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach