Re: [linux-audio-user] getting around hotplug (was Re: Keyboard loss @ usb audio disconnect)

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 19:59:14 EET

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 21:02 -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:27:41PM +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > If you do not need hotplug for other devices, you could completely
> > remove them from your boot process and load snd_usb_audio statically
> > during boot time in one of the boot scripts. That's how I do it,
> > because it also allows to pass parameters to the module.
>
> Do you know if there's a deterministic way other than hotplug to get
> the dynamic device numbers that a USB device has ben assigned? If
> there were, I'd abandon hotplug completely. It's horribly
> overcomplicated, but I can't figure out a way to reproduce it's
> ability to know what device numbers my stuff has been assigned.

This sounds like a huge waste of time - rather than abandoning something
as immensely useful as hotplug, just get the bug in the USB driver
fixed! AFAICT all the people having this problem are using really old
kernels anyway. It's idiotic to abandon hotplug just because you don't
want to upgrade your kernel to fix a known bug.

Lee