Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA issues

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 09:16:45 EET

Christoph Eckert wrote:
> I'm running a Gentoo box and just updated to a vanilla 2.6.14.2 with no
> further patches applied. I even updated ALSA to 1.0.10rc1. I'm using
> the kernel drivers, no external drivers installed. JACK was taken from
> CVS some time ago and is version 0.100.0, tmpdir /dev/shm installed.
>
> I run an internal AC '97 chip (with modem functionality), a Terratec USB
> audio device, a Midisport 8x8, a m-audio Trigger Finger USB-MIDI device
> and (occasionally) an Edirol UM-1S. The firmware for the Midisport gets
> loaded via hotplug (very cool script BTW, thanks to the author) as well
> as snd_usb_audio gets loaded by hotplug.
>
> Now the issues:
>

> I.) According to http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards I tried to set
> the cards to a certain order because I'd (mainly) to see the Terratec
> card with the same number each time I log in. Unfortunately this
> doesn't work. I have included the content of the
> file /etc/modules.d/alsa at the end of this mail.

The "options snd-xxx index=..." lines look OK.

Please check in /sys/module/snd-xxx/parameters/index that the options actually
got applied.

> II.) When doing an /etc/init.d/alsasound restart, all cards are lost.
> cat /proc/asound/cards tell me "no cards". I get back my USB devices as
> soon as I replug them thanks to hotplug, but the internal card is lost
> until I reload the modules manually *or* reboot the machine.

How does the alsasound script look like?

I guess it looks for snd-card-x aliases in /etc/modprobe.conf, and your first
problem may indicate that this file doesn't exist.

> III.) Formerly I did loadthe snd_usb_audio module
> in /etc/conf.d/local.start so I could pass some parameters to improve
> USB audio latency:
> modprobe snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1
>
> What is the right place now as the module gets loaded via hotplug?

/etc/modules.d/alsa :-) or wherever your distribution wants to have the
"options" lines for modules.

HTH
Clemens