Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA issues

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 21:22:39 EET

Hi,

thanks a lot for the help, Clemens.

[...]

> The "options snd-xxx index=..." lines look OK.

thanks for the confirmation, this already helps a lot.

> Please check in /sys/module/snd-xxx/parameters/index that the options
> actually got applied.

Urgs, thanks for the hint. Doesn't seem to be the case:

cat /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/index
-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1

The same for the AC '97 chip.

> > II.) When doing an /etc/init.d/alsasound restart, all cards are
> > lost. cat /proc/asound/cards tell me "no cards". I get back my USB
> > devices as soon as I replug them thanks to hotplug, but the
> > internal card is lost until I reload the modules manually *or*
> > reboot the machine.
>
> How does the alsasound script look like?
>
> I guess it looks for snd-card-x aliases in /etc/modprobe.conf, and
> your first problem may indicate that this file doesn't exist.

/etc/modprobe.conf does exist but only contains a coment that edits
should go to /etc/modules.conf. AFAIK the former one is for 2.4 kernels
while the latter one is for 2.6, right?

When I look into /etc/modules.conf, I can find the lines

### modules-update: start processing /etc/modules.d/alsa

and

### modules-update: end processing /etc/modules.d/alsa

Between them, I find the lines I put in /etc/modules.d/alsa manually, so
this looks promising.

[...]

> /etc/modules.d/alsa :-) or wherever your distribution wants to have
> the "options" lines for modules.

OK, thanks to your questions I understood the loading of the modules a
bit better. So I added the nrpacks parameter into /etc/modules.d/alsa;
the line now reads as

options snd-usb-audio index=2,3,4,5 vid=0x0ccd,0x0763,0x0763,0x0582
pid=0x0028,0x1033,0x0117,0x0009 nrpacks=1

I hope I got the syntax right.

So I think:

* I sucessfully edited /etc/modules.d/alsa
* This file gets sucessfully processed by modules-update
* Its contents are sucessfully ported to /etc/modules.conf

But OTOH somehow it look like /etc/alsasound start doesn't care
about /etc/modules.conf, because otherwise ALSA should know my AC '97
card as well as my USB hardware (by loading the modules).

So I open /etc/init.d/alsasound. At the beginning I find the following
comment:

# Rewritten for better support for built-in drivers
# Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@email-addr-hidden>
# 2004.06.02

Then I see the following lines; nothing special...

alsactl=/usr/sbin/alsactl
asoundcfg=/etc/asound.state
aconnect=/usr/bin/aconnect

...except for this one:

alsascrdir=/etc/alsa.d

This directory doesn't exist at all.

Furthermore I searched for a line containing "modules.conf" but I didn't
detect any. "/etc/init.d/alsa" calls "modprobe" at several lines. Does
"modprobe" read "/etc/modules.conf"?!? I hope so, but is hope
enough ;-) ?

Is there any way to check whether /etc/modules.conf is read while

Best regards

    ce