Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA issues - SOLVED

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 02:04:28 EET

On 11/17/05, Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>

> > Oh gosh!! I'm sorry. I've been burned by exactly the same thing.
>
> Hehe :) .
>
> > Another issue about modules-update (or update-moduels) is that should
> > there be a problem with the format of a single file the script stops
> > but doesn't tell you. You then reboot to find things aren't right
> > again, and stuff is missing from modprobe.conf.
> >
> > Anyway, you're not alone my friend. I've been there with exactly the
> > same issue maybe a year ago. Very glad you are working now.
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> I wonder if we could trigger to get this "bug" fixed.
>
> I already wrote to Aron Griffis <agriffis gentoo org> whose name was
> mentioned in the script, but I wonder if there was a central maintainer
> so this behaviour could be changed to avoid other users being affected
> by the same thing?
>
> I see a lot of trouble with ALSA issues on the Gentoo user mailing list,
> and this is an occasion to remove one point of failure for the future,
> or am I wrong?

I think you are very right:

1) Alsa bugs are one of the more common bugs on that list.

2) This class of bugs exists in Gentoo.

3) It causes confusion and wastes time, both for users and developers.

Whether the developers want to address it I have no idea. I'd suggest
filing something in Bugzilla, either as a bug or an enhancement
request. I am pretty certain that it will not get addressed right
away. I've had a couple of threads myself on this subject over the
last 2-3 years and it's never gained traction. That said I'll support
any reasonable enhancement request.

Please note that there is no requirement in Gentoo to use
update-modules. (or modules-update) Users are free to write
modprobe.conf by hand like they do on other distros. This is likely
one of those things that is sort of in the cracks.

Cheers,
Mark