Re: [linux-audio-user] Edirol UA-25: Any issues?

From: Pete Leigh <pete.leigh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 11:50:54 EET

On 18/11/05, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Pete Leigh wrote:

> > I gather from the downloadable manual that it will only do 16/44.1
> > with advanced mode switched to off, and only 24bits with advanced
> > mode on, at least under windows. I'd be interested to know whether
> > 16/48 could be achieved under Linux, despite this (ie if it's a limitation
> > of the windows drivers).
>
> The advanced mode is supported in Linux.

Anyone know if the advanced mode can be coerced into 16 bits?

I mean, if I run jack with -S, to force 16 bit mode, will it fail, if the device
is set in advanced mode?

(I'm worried about hd bandwidth at 96/24 because I only have a slow
hd at the moment, and also I have this possibly useless idea to
use the onboard soundcard for a monitor, with the usb device only
sending input, while recording... since the onboard device is 16bits
only, it seems this would be easier with 16 bit input)

> > Apparently there is an alsa patch especially for it, but I don't know
> > if that means the controller stuff will work, and how much of it.
>
> The quirk is for the MIDI port, which means that probably _only_ the
> controller stuff will work.

Right - I noticed the patch was for midi - I didn't know whether it was
just for the pass-through midi to work :)

[in another mail]

>All USB audio devices move data in one-millisecond packets, so the achievable
>latency depends _only_ on the software, not on what device you use.

Just to be clear, then, does "All USB" include USB 2.0, so that 1.1 and 2.0 are
equivalent for latency, and differ only in bandwidth?

Cheers,

- Pete.