Re: [linux-audio-user] Edirol UA-25: Any issues?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 22:09:05 EET

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 19:27 +0000, Pete Leigh wrote:
> On 21/11/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 18:28 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
>
> > > OTOH I heard that ACPI should be better disabled for audio kernels, so I
> > > did.
>
> > This doesn't really apply anymore, the kernel bugs in question are
> > thought to be fixed. I run with ACPI enabled now and have not had a
> > problem in months.
>
> I've been wondering about the 'acpi over smm' problems mentioned
> on this list in Oct '04 for a while now - the problem doesn't seem to
> get mentioned, yet I couldn't find a resolution in the list archives
> (I could have missed it though).
>
> (I mean the thread "Latency issues with laptops", at
> http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2004-October/016545.html )
>
> Does anyone know what the current state of play with this is?
>
> Did the blacklist ever materialise, and is there any method of detecting
> whether a particular laptop has the issue?

Not really. Acer laptops seem particularly bad. And, it turns out that
some chipsets have a way to disable SMM, which is used by RTAI, so maybe
this can be worked around. But, as the problem is broken hardware,
there will never be a real fix.

The best approach is probably to ask on this list whether anyone has
tried a particular laptop.

Lee