Re: [linux-audio-user] [ardour-users] new song on-line

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 19:30:42 EET

Positive comments noted and greatly appreciated *blush* :)

On Saturday 26 November 2005 14:17, Dave Phillips was like:
> You can also eliminate this tempo dodge just by using Hydrogen and
> exploiting its humanization features. :)

Recent versions of Hydrogen also do pitch variations. In league with a good
layered kit, like the millo_multilayered set sound pretty good to my ears.

> Craig Anderton has written an excellent article on what he calls the
> Tutt/Guerin effect. Basically he just analyzed MIDI recordings of some
> top studio drummers and discovered how the various instruments in a set
> are all acting at slightly different times. The temporal distances
> between the activity of the bass drum, the snare, the hi-hat, and the
> ride cymbal all add up to a feel unique to each drummer's way of playing
> in the groove. Lately I've been listening to the drummers for the
> classic r'n'b bands behind the Stax/Volt, Motown, and James Brown
> sounds, really interesting stuff to compare in the light of CA's study.

Similarly the timing discrepancies between Fleetwood's drumming and McVie's
bassplaying are always quoted as contributing to Fleetwood Mac's unique
sound.

--
cheers,
tim hall