Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Lighting

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 14:36:20 EET

> Renting is ok for me. But say that I simply use the lighting installation of the
> club I play in : would I just bring my laptop and DMX controller ? If the club's
> lighting installation isn't "DMX compatible", would a set of dimmers do the
> trick ? Can I expect to find such "DMX compatible" lighting installations (like
> dimmers I just plug my controller into) in most of clubs/discos/concert halls ?
> (I suppose that I should just ask places I know...)

You should expect that lighting equipment should be DMX controlled
today. So this technically solves to connecting your DMX controller
(from laptop) to the DMX cable of the lighting console at the location.
However be prepared that they might have more than 1 DMX universe/cable
due to the local installation so to use all lights you'll need more than
1 universe on your DMX interface. Or two interfaces with 1 universe
each. That's the reason why you should contact a local technican beforehand.

If they don't own a DMX controlled lighting evironment I won't make
myself any trouble trying to connect to "their" lighting equipment with
my own dimmers, unless you're prepared to spent several days ripping
their whole installation apart (which they probably would not allow anyway).

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann ^ doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj