Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Linux Lighting

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 14:40:09 EET

> The idea would be to modify my application (Jackbeat) to control light in
> addition to sound, using dmx4linux (see: http://llg.cubic.org/dmx4linux) and a
> supported DMX controller.

Should be very easy, as it's essentially just an 8 bit value for each
"lamp" you'd like to control which directly drives the lamps intensity.

> Now, I really need to learn some more about what happen on the output of this
> DMX controller thing... I'm very new to this lighting stuff.

As Jacob explained it's an 8bit serial protocol which modern lighting
equipment unterstands. However you need not know the details of this if
you're just going to drive some dimmerpacks via DMX. If you really want
to know the details look at:
http://llg.cubic.org/docs/evolution/

> I just checked this 55 EUR Enttec USB controller :
> http://www.enttec.com/opendmxusb.php
> This firm seems to officially support Linux. Looks great...

I would suggest this one. It's cheap, supported and plug'n'play.
A Linux 2.6.x version of dmx4linux will be out in the next weeks.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann ^ doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj