Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 03:28:22 EET

On 12/3/05, Brian Dunn <job17and9@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> So does anybody out there have the best of all worlds?
> good free documentation, reliable hardware support,
> binary packaging, a fast audio kernel, and config
> files that don't get re-written by some user friendly
> script somewhere that would be oh so convinient except
> for the whole doesn't work thing?
>
> If your system works the way you want it too most of
> the time, i want to hear your opinion.
>
> gratefull,
> Brian

I have two opinions:

1) If I want *exactly* what Fernando provides on the Planet site, no
more and no less, then PlanetCCRMA is the best I know of. It's well
supported in the audio area by a great guy. It has a good mailing list
with helpful people. (Of which I hope I'm one once in awhile anyway.)
Overall very positive, but it has two downsides:

a) If you need ANYTHING that's not part of the Planet apt system then
be prepared for RPM hell. At least that's my experience. Email, DVD
stuff, etc.

b) Pick your Fedora version and be prepared to upgrade, upgrade,
upgrade. Every release of FC# is an opportunity to rebuild your system
from scratch. I know some folks report that they just do an upgrade
and it works for them but I'm sure that not a single one ever worked
for me.

2) The best overall distro, in my experience, for package availablity
and stability is Gentoo. I have pretty much every app I can think of
using. When I want to use something that's not in portage I have never
had to find a library that wasn't already supported. Best of all I
have a 3 year old Gentoo system that is completely equal to my newest
Gentoo system. The portage/emerge system means never having to say
'upgrade'.

There are other good options - DeMudi being themost notible. I've
never run it but we hear good things. There are other minor distros
like 64studio and PCOS (I think that's what it's called) that are
worth looking at. With all the press about Ubuntu I'd imaginge it's
worth a look, but I don't know who uses it for audio.

Probably this is a rehash of the other responses. Hope it added something.

cheers,
Mark