Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 05:49:55 EET

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 17:28 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Brian Dunn <job17and9@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > So does anybody out there have the best of all worlds?
> > good free documentation, reliable hardware support,
> > binary packaging, a fast audio kernel, and config
> > files that don't get re-written by some user friendly
> > script somewhere that would be oh so convinient except
> > for the whole doesn't work thing?
> >
> > If your system works the way you want it too most of
> > the time, i want to hear your opinion.
> >
> > gratefull,
> > Brian
> >

> I have two opinions:
>
> 1) If I want *exactly* what Fernando provides on the Planet site, no
> more and no less, then PlanetCCRMA is the best I know of. It's well
> supported in the audio area by a great guy. It has a good mailing list
> with helpful people. (Of which I hope I'm one once in awhile anyway.)
> Overall very positive, but it has two downsides:

    Yep, you're one of them ;-)

> a) If you need ANYTHING that's not part of the Planet apt system then
> be prepared for RPM hell. At least that's my experience. Email, DVD
> stuff, etc.

    I don't have any trouble with things that aren't covered in CCRMA.
I just download the source and build it. No RPMs = no RPM hell. I
normally build JACK, Ardour, and JAMin from source anyway.

> b) Pick your Fedora version and be prepared to upgrade, upgrade,
> upgrade. Every release of FC# is an opportunity to rebuild your system
> from scratch. I know some folks report that they just do an upgrade
> and it works for them but I'm sure that not a single one ever worked
> for me.

    This is true in part. I NEVER upgrade. I also have never had one
work correctly and every time I tried it left a lot of loose ends laying
around. On the other hand, I stayed on FC1 for a couple of years before
I switched up to FC4 (three days ago) because it was stable. I wouldn't
recommend FC4 from the Planet just yet though as it is still a work in
progress.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice