Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: Dubphil <dubphil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 16:14:02 EET

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:02:18PM -0800, Brian Dunn wrote:
>
> If your system works the way you want it too most of
> the time, i want to hear your opinion.
>

My only advice, if you intend to make music *seriously* with Linux : take one or two month to choose your system and compare with those two criterias.

- The first criteria imho is the compatibility between your hardware and your operating system. All of the prebuilt kernel of all the distros where not enough tuned for my USB soundcard (unstability, xruns...etc). So I was obliged to compil my own kernel. From this point of view, choose the distro that provides the easiest way to manage the kernel building. For me the N°1 is of course Gentoo.

- Matters of availability, in the package repository of the distro, latest versions or whatever concerning an audio software package will become very useless when, one day or another, you will have to compil the main softwares set of your audio system. From this point of view, choose the distro that provides the most reliable compilation environment. For me the N°1 is of course Gentoo.

This was the result of an heavy testing of DeMuDI, AudioSlack, PlanetCCRMA. To attest my objectivity, My operating system of choice, at my work, is Debian for other reasons than audio consideration... :)

Best regards

Philippe
Received on Sun Dec 4 16:15:06 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sun Dec 04 2005 - 16:15:06 EET