Re: [linux-audio-user] joystick => midi

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 15:38:14 EET

Hallo,
Florian Schmidt hat gesagt: // Florian Schmidt wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:18:53 +0100
> Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I have a usb joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D pro) that I'd like to be able
> > to use for controlling stuff in my synth (om). Is it possible to have it
> > show up as an alsa device? If so how? I don't know too much about
> > joysticks in the first place, but it seems to be connected to
> > /dev/input/js0, at least "cat /dev/input/js0" outputs garbage when
> > moving the joystick...
>
> aseqjoy

It seems that aseqjoy doesn't support the buttons and also doesn't
allow to scale the joystick data in various ways.

If you need something more, I can very much recommend to use Pd in
conjunction with either the [joystick] external or the more general
[hid] external, which can map any USB hid device (mouse, joystick,
keyboard, sensors, dj consoles etc.) to whatever you want (Midi, OSC,
numbers etc.

[hid] comes with many utility objects dealing with things like
converting between polar and cartesian coordinates, which is handy if
for example you want to use the distance from the center as amplitude
and the angle as frequency. Try that with aseqjoy!

In short: [hid] is power- and wonderful.

Read more at http://at.or.at/hans/pd/hid.html and
http://at.or.at/hans/research/nime/

Ciao