[linux-audio-user] Re: How to get good vocal sound

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 17:34:53 EET

2005/12/6, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>:
> Bill Allen wrote:
> > I've been struggling with a technique problem. How do you get your
> > vocals to sound good? I know that you can't make a silk purse from a
> > sow's ear, but you can make the best of what you've got.
> Hi Bill:
<snip>
> A few random tips: Stand when you sing. Use a pop filter (I should
> follow my own advice). Breathe deeply, you can always erase the noise.

Depending on the music you make, the breathing can even be part of the
singing (thats a place to use a compressor *hint*). Imagine John
Lennons "Imagine" with a voice that drank to much alcohol sung/spoken
into the mic and every breathe a thunder underlining the verses.
Works with the "small bar"-type of jazz too...

> Don't raise your chin when you try to reach notes on the high end of
> your range, it tightens the vocal mechanism and works against your
> attempt. Relax, you won't sing (or play) well with excess tension.
> Consider your input chain, i.e., decent microphones, preamp if
> necessary, good hot signal, etc. Don't record with effects in, you'll
> fool yourself and it will be harder to fix (I like that Ardour forces
> that behaviour). Key your music to complement your available range.

Amen.

Arnold

PS: dp rulez (together with ron parker)

--