Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: How to get good vocal sound

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 19:58:27 EET

Hi!
  I'm a - well - bad singer and I usually do the following with good effect:
  take a short (20-30ms) lr-delay with only two delays, sometimes use the CAPS
chorus with a frequency of 3-4 Hz before this and after that add the g2verb
after that, with the reverb-settings appropriate for the recording. For more
spacious effect I sometimes apply a long (200-400ms) stereo-delay after that.
  The chorus can give some more volume, the first short stereo-delay gives
more wideness to the voice as-is, and the reverb and delay after that give
good, big ambience. This may not be very pretty - I don't know - but it sounds
ok. Of course good compression before that can have its part in it, depending
on what you're singing and where it should be used.
  The effects I use are ecasound internal -etd (stereo-delay) like this:
-etd:32,2,2,50,50 (32ms delaytime, lleft-to-right mode, 2 delays, 50% mix and
50% feedback.
  Caps chorus 1767 (don't ask me for params, I have to reread them everytime.
g2verb 1950 like that in ecasound commandline:
-eli:1950,45,2.8,0.4,0.5,0,-19,-22 (nice and big)
  Other good possibilities for reverb (if you have high-quality recording like
in classical music) are csound/dssi-convolve and a sampled impulse respose.
  Well for me this always worked out quite ok.
  HTH.
  Kindest regards
       Julien

--------